1 out of every 8 women is diagnosed with breast cancer. Unfortunately, more and more women are convincing themselves they have breast cancer after Googling different symptoms.
Irene (24 years old) recently experienced a pain in her right breast. The pain worsened within a couple hours and she decided to google ‘Breast Pain’.
With the top 5 search options including the ‘C’ word – Irene immediately panicked! Irene and her mum worried for 2 days before she decided to visit the doctor. Thankfully, the doctor confirmed her Google Diagnosis was incorrect and she was in fact experiencing a side effect from the contraceptive pill.
It is vital for women to know the difference between breast cancer facts and fiction. Don’t believe everything you read on Google. Especially when searching a keyword featuring ‘breast’ – the ‘C’ word appears in every link. To avoid further anxiety and stress, here’s a list of 8 Busted Breast Cancer Myths:
- Wearing an underwire bra WILL NOT increase your chances of Breast Cancer
- Not all breast lumps are cancerous: 80% of lumps are benign, cysts or other conditions
- Women with breast implants are not at higher risk of breast cancer
- Wearing antiperspirant does not increase your chances of breast cancer
- There is no correlation between the size of your breasts and breast cancer
- Breast cancer doesn’t always come in the form of a lump
- Being overweight does increase your chance of breast cancer
- Abortions do not raise your chance of breast cancer
Don’t let the web, get to your head!
Stop Dr Google